Yesterday on my dish was pork vegetable soup.
It is very simple, tasty, healthy and nutritious soup. Once you cook it, the whole house will smell with wonderful aroma.
Ingredients (for 1 person):
– ½ small cup of wild rice
– A part of pork with bone
– ½ liter water
– Vegetables mix (30% paprika- red, yellow, green; 25% tomatoes; 25% mushrooms; 20% onions). I like this mix because paprika gives unforgettable flavour and onion makes it a bit sweet.
– 2tsp. tomato puree
– 1 bay leaf
– Salt, pepper and herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano) to taste
- Cook rice.
- In separate pan cook pork for in half liter of water until meat is tender.
- Add vegetables, tomato puree, bay leaf, salt, pepper, herbs and cook for about 15min.
- Tear meat from the bone, add to soup.
- Discard bay leaves.
*Enjoy your meal* OnMyDish.wordpress.com
Leftover bones can be eaten by a hunter:)
The food I present is Joe’s Crab Shack specialty! A tart pie in a graham cracker crust, topped with whipped cream. Really great and reminds me of hot summer.
– 5 egg yolks
– 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
– ½ cup of “key” lime juice
– 1 ½ cups of graham crackers
– ¼ cup of sugar
– 1/3 cup of melted butter
– Whipped cream
- Mix in a bowl crackers and sugar. Pour in the butter and mix all ingredients. If you don’t have graham crackers, use any other crackers.
- Press into the pie plate and bake in ca. 180 oC for about 8-10 minutes.
- Cool down, preferably in the fridge, before using it.
- Combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Mix well all ingredients. Pour into the graham cracker crust. Bake in ca. 180 oC for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool down.
- Top with whipped cream.
It’s really easy and very tasty.
Below scene has inspired me to write about this subject.
A kid in a bar has put on his plate a salad. His mother has noticed it and shouted: “You don’t eat vegetables. Put that away!”. Instead of a tasty and healthy salad he was mad to eat a burger. Poor kid…
I’m sure you already know that vegetables are healthy:) They are a great source of vitamins, minerals, fibres, and they deliver few calories.
If you eat many vegetables your stomach is full and you will automatically eat less other stuff. In general that should lead to lower caloric intake.
– Fibres and water that are in vegetables increase volume of the meal,
– Fibres cause that you need to chew more, what means you eat longer and less.
If you eat vegetables as first course the total amount of energy will be less.
According to the science “if you eat soup as a starter, the energy-intake of the total meal will be decreased with 20%, 7% when you eat a small salad of 150g and 12% if you eat a big salad of 300g”. However, bear in mind that it won’t influence the rest of the day!
This information was taken from the scientific magazine “Voeding Nu”: Ellen Dutman, Wilrike Pasman, Annette Stafleu, TNO; De verzadigde werking van groente en de relatie met overgewicht. Voeding Nu, Januari/Februari 2012, 9-11.
Talking about typical American meals I can’t omit this one: toasts with scrambled egg, bacon, sausages, and orange juice.
That was my breakfast.
– Orange juice
1. Make toast
2. Fry the rest in huge amount of fat:)
Ooo, believe me it was so fat…
If you eat a meal like this, you understand immediately why some Americans are so corpulent 😦
Neither Cola, nor hot tea were able to dissolve it. Such breakfast is definitely not my style. If you want to stay in shape, better avoid a meal like this.
Sorry for not being with you guys those last few days.
I’m on holiday and it’s difficult to find an opportunity to write about food, not mentioning cooking it 🙂
I was waiting and hoping to find for you couple interesting recipies and I found one.
That was the first day where I decided to eat typical SUPER SIZE ME dish = a burger 🙂
I don’t eat burgers that often but if I had this kind of burgers around me I would eat them very freuently…
Since in Florida, in my opinion, you can find as many Mexicans as Americans, the combinaction of these two cuisines: a burger with guacamole & Chili sauce was really a fantastic choice.
On my dish was: Chipotle guacamole burger
– Chipotle sauce
– A single fried onion ring
I need to find out 🙂
Believe me, that was the best burger I’ve ever eaten. Juicy meat, spicy sauce, great natural French fries, and super tasty Cesar salad. It was really delicious.
What to cook if you have little ingredients? I always have something frozen and this time that was seafood. Great thing to eat and you feel like on holiday.
I decided for risotto that again reminds me about Italian coast but what can I say… Italian kitchen is just simple and tasty.
You most likely know thousands of other risotto recipes but I encourage you to try this one as well. Especially that there are so little ingredients:)
Ingredients (for 2 people):
– 1tbsp. butter
– 1 bouillon cube
– 1 glass of uncooked rice
*Rice-broth (bouillon) proportions would be 1-2
– 1 onion
– 1/2tsp. saffron
– 2tbsp. lemon juice
– 1 can tomato sauce, ca. 400 ml
– Ca. 200g seafood
– 2tbsp. sour crème
– Salt and pepper
- Dissolve bouillon cube in water.
- Melt butter in frying pan, add chopped onions; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add saffron and rise; cook for 30 seconds.
- Add lemon juice to pan; cook for 15 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Stir in ½ cup hot broth mixture; cook until the liquid is nearly absorbed. Add remaining broth mixture in portions, ½ cup at a time. Stir until liquid is absorbed. For 1 glass of rice you may need 2 glasses of liquid.
- Add seafood and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil; cook for ca. 5 min.
- Mix in separate container 1tbsp. of tomato sauce with the sour crème and add into tomato sauce; do not cook.
- Salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Serve and sprinkle with parsley.
*Enjoy your meal* OnMydish.wordpress.com
One of the organic vegetables that I got this week was Chinese cabbage.
This year there is no spring. It’s cold, cloudy and rainy. I decided to bring a bit of happiness on my dish and used young potatoes, fish and pesto which to me associates with Italian coast.
Ingredients (for 2 people):
– ½ Chinese cabbage
– 1 apple
– Juice of ½ green lemon
– 1tbsp. pesto
– 1tbsp. sour crème
– 2tbsp. pine nuts
– Perch fillets
- Steam potatoes in pressure cooker. Do not peel off. You can also boil them if you want. (I didn’t use any salt to keep the natural taste of the potatoes)
- Spread pesto over perch fillet and simmer in water. (If you use pesto, you do not need salt:))
- Slice cabbage into thin strips, squeeze lemon over the top and mix.
- Peel off the apple, grade and add to Chinese cabbage.
- Mix sour crème and pesto in separate container, add to vegetables so the taste will mingle.
- Fry pine nuts that will be used for perch fillet and Chinese cabbage salad decoration.
*Enjoy your meal* OnMyDish.wordrpess.com
If you have visitors and you are out of ideas, toast pizza, is a great idea. You spend minor time on preparation and the result is very good.
Ingredients for salad (4 people):
– ¾ oak leaf lettuce
– 200g cherry tomatoes
– 1/3 jar of green olives, sliced
– ½ white cheese, similar to feta
– ½ onion
– 1tbsp. olive oil
– 1tbsp. raspberry vinegar
– Salt and pepper for seasoning
Know-how for salad (4 people):
- Tear lettuce into pieces
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half
- Slice onion
- Cut white cheese into cubes
- Whisk oil and vinegar, spread over the salad and season with salt and pepper
Ingredients for toast pizza (4 people):
– 12 slices white bread
– 6-7 eggs
– 1 onion
– 1 zucchini
– 2 garlic cloves
– ½ package, ca.100g ham
– 1/3 jar green beans
– 1 package, ca. 200g Young Gouda cheese
– Thyme and chili
Know-how for toast pizza (4 people):
- Cut zucchini and onion, cook under lid, add pressed garlic
- Oil a baking mould to prevent sticking
- Whip eggs
- Dip 4 slices in egg mixture and place in baking mould
- Top with cheese, zucchini and onion
- Put another layer of bread, spread one side with pesto, top the other side with the rest of egg mixture, ham, green beans and cheese
- Put the last layer of bread, top with cheese and season with thyme and chili
- Bake in 200 Celsius degrees for about 15-20 minutes
You’ll get a great toast pizza with a soft and juicy bottom and a crunchy top
*Enjoy your meal* OnMydish.wordpress.com
I’ve promised once that I will write a bit more about my organic vegetables.
Well, a long time ago a colleague of mine ate blood orange for lunch. In Poland they are quite common and in the Netherlands that was the first time I had seen this precious fruit. I’ve asked where it was coming from. It has been one of the fruits/veggies delivered with organic bag. I’ve immediately liked the idea. I buy organic veggies since around two years. Every week I get a surprise package. I don’t have an influence on what I receive. Sometimes I feel like a rabbit: leaves, leaves and once more time leaves.
Well, to be honest- this week is a good example of a “rabbit” combination 🙂
In the package were:
– Chinese cabbage
– Oak leaf lettuce
– Cherry tomatoes
In the coming days I share with you some of my ideas for the above listed vegetables.
Hey, look at this. I mean what could be better than so great and tasty lunch at work?
FYI: do not think that I eat that little. I just split my lunches in two parts;) I can’t wait that long after my breakfast and I do not like to eat that much in the mornings. I’m not an “early bird” so I prefer to do more and eat more in the afternoons.
This time on my dish was: baguette with mozzarella and tomato. Plus strawberries…
– Salt, pepper, basil, thyme and rosemary
1. Just look at the picture:)
Very simple and so yummy.
*Enjoy your lunch* OnMyDish.wordpress.com